LS17 (Leeds) area guide
The LS17 postcode district lies within or includes part of the following towns, counties, localities, electoral wards and stations: Alwoodley, Bardsey, Cross Gates and Whinmoor, East Keswick, Harewood, Huby, Leeds, Moortown, North Rigton, North Yorkshire, Roundhay, Shadwell, Spofforth with Lower Wharfedale, Washburn, Weeton, Wike.
LS17 is surrounded by grassland as far as the eye can see. It is home to the Harewood Castle. This castle was founded in the 12 century by Sir William De Aldeburg. When De Aldburg died, the castle was given to the Ryther families. The castle was last occupied in the early 17th century and put up for sale as an upstanding source of stone and timber. It decayed a lot over the few hundred years it was unoccupied and placed on the Buildings at Risk Register. Since then, the castle has undergone many restoration projects and was finally taken off the Buildings at Risk Register in 2008.
Harewood House is also located in LS17. This building was constructed in the mid to late 18th century for Edwin Lascelles. During WWI and WWII the house was used as a hospital. It is still owned by the Lascelles family. Today there is a large bird collection of over 90 species, including penguins.
Golfing is very popular in LS17. With 6 golf courses in the area, one can almost always find an open tee time. The courses include Leeds Golf Centre, Sand Moor Golf Club, Moortown Golf Club, Alwoodley Golf Club, Brandon Golf Course and Moor Allerton Golf Club. Moorton Golf Club was opened in 1909 and has hosted many tournaments.
There are a number of primary and secondary schools around the area. One school nearby is North Rigton Church of England Primary School and is located on Hall Green Lane.